When I announced my departure in August, I didn’t think that my last day would come so quickly.
In the days since my announcement, so many people have come up to wish me well as I take the next step in my career. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to speak with me in the halls, pull me aside in meetings and send notes to wish me well. It’s truly humbling and now the big day is here.
While my last day at Osler is November 3, I have been working closely with my colleagues on the senior leadership team to execute a transition plan to hand over my responsibilities and set our hospital system up for a successful future. Seeing it all fall into place is bittersweet, but I have no doubt that Joanne Flewwelling, Osler’s Interim CEO, is more than up to the task.
I’m proud of all that we’ve done together to put Osler on course for an incredible journey; one that sees Osler transforming health care at the local level and forging ahead as an innovative leader in the province.
- Implemented our first-ever five year strategic plan that is establishing Osler as a leader in the delivery of innovative health care;
- Introduced and expanded essential clinical programs that are helping us manage unprecedented patient volumes;
- Launched redevelopment projects at Brampton Civic, Etobicoke General and Peel Memorial;
- Made a conscious decision to involve patients and families, not only in their care, but in the creation of services; and,
- Developed strong relationships with partners across the health care system to support the delivery of truly integrated care to patients in the Central West region.
And all of this was done in just six short years. It’s awe-inspiring when you think about it.
Change is never easy but often times, it is the right time to move on. I feel this way about leaving Osler. I have the rare opportunity to help improve the health care system in the community my family calls home, and it’s an opportunity that I couldn’t pass up.
Before I sign off, I want to thank each and every person who I’ve had the pleasure of working with over the past six years. As I mentioned, we’ve achieved so many amazing things together.
From Osler’s team of talented staff, physicians and volunteers; to our regional partners at Central West CCAC, Headwaters and the Central West LHIN who have helped to advance our ambitious integrated approach to care; to the patients and families I’ve met through my Living the Vision rounds; to our friends at the cities of Brampton and Toronto, as well as Queen’s Park, who championed the redevelopment of Peel Memorial and Etobicoke General; to our Board of Directors who firmly believe in the work that we do – THANK YOU for one heck of a ride.